Now let's talk about the team lineup.

Lets talk some Hoops!
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Now let's talk about the team lineup.

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm And even if we just focus on the on-court stuff, it was obvious there was a lack of preparation, direction, and discipline - a culture set by the head coach. I don't know enough to comment on particular players and I wouldn't even suggest we had many "bad apples" or whatever. Every coach at CCSU has had student-athletes that have had academic or other issues (serious or not), and that is not the point. I think it comes down to any issues players had were further enabled by the coaching style. Instead, they should have been addressed so they can grow as student, men, and basketball players.

I would estimate about 90% of the end of half plays were disasters. Many times we didn't get a good, clean shot off. I think DM had put together a good roster of D-I talent, but was unable to direct and motivate the players.

I'll say it again so this isn't personal, but even with some issues off the court, DM would probably still be here if he just won more games. His style was a "players coach" and not a disciplinarian. It's a style that may work in the NBA or at a P5 school, but CCSU doesn't recruit the kind of individual talent that makes that a successful strategy. He didn't have the Xs and Os and enough talent to make it work. A 5-year, 40-104 record speaks for itself.
Correct. What the public sees are the games, and those were disastrous. The records were bad, and when you dig into the peripheral numbers as I like to do, it just confirms everything.

I had a good conversation with a former player, and without giving up too much...the lack of preparation, direction, and discipline extended to practices as well. Let's just say; if a player was looking for a coach to push them and make them the best player they could be, CCSU was the wrong place for the last 5 years.

Culture can have a lot of different meanings, and extends to many different areas. Having guys putting in extra work is part of a culture. That hasn't been the case here.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm
J.J. wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm And even if we just focus on the on-court stuff, it was obvious there was a lack of preparation, direction, and discipline - a culture set by the head coach. I don't know enough to comment on particular players and I wouldn't even suggest we had many "bad apples" or whatever. Every coach at CCSU has had student-athletes that have had academic or other issues (serious or not), and that is not the point. I think it comes down to any issues players had were further enabled by the coaching style. Instead, they should have been addressed so they can grow as student, men, and basketball players.

I would estimate about 90% of the end of half plays were disasters. Many times we didn't get a good, clean shot off. I think DM had put together a good roster of D-I talent, but was unable to direct and motivate the players.

I'll say it again so this isn't personal, but even with some issues off the court, DM would probably still be here if he just won more games. His style was a "players coach" and not a disciplinarian. It's a style that may work in the NBA or at a P5 school, but CCSU doesn't recruit the kind of individual talent that makes that a successful strategy. He didn't have the Xs and Os and enough talent to make it work. A 5-year, 40-104 record speaks for itself.
Correct. What the public sees are the games, and those were disastrous. The records were bad, and when you dig into the peripheral numbers as I like to do, it just confirms everything.

I had a good conversation with a former player, and without giving up too much...the lack of preparation, direction, and discipline extended to practices as well. Let's just say; if a player was looking for a coach to push them and make them the best player they could be, CCSU was the wrong place for the last 5 years.

Culture can have a lot of different meanings, and extends to many different areas. Having guys putting in extra work is part of a culture. That hasn't been the case here.
Wow.. so the players were just "enjoying the college experience" so to speak.... Wow... When you're on an athletic scholarship you have to be prepared to perform to win (at some point, if not at the beginning)... Wow....
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I didn't meant to suggest players at large were not putting in hard work. Just...from what I've heard, there wasn't a culture of guys going above and beyond.

Many of these programs have guys putting up shots late at night and living in the gym. Again, that's a culture, and it starts at the top.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Yep, as it looked. Well the past is the last, it was bad and the futures so bright, we gotta wear shades! DM didn’t want to lose I’m sure, just thought his nba cred would be enough. I wish him luck in his next adventure. Now all we can do is look forward to Pats introduction and the beginning of a new era!