Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Lets talk some Hoops!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Post by ktuck911 »

Davonte Sweatman dropped 35 at an event about a month ago, per video at this link
https://youtu.be/3lnSu9luLpo

Maybe this is where Sellers became intrigued with him, even before he got the gig at CCSU
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Its going to get interesting, and I expect we are going to be seeing many additions in the next few weeks.
What we have so far:
------------------------------
Ayangama PF (?)
--------------------
Krishnan SG
Ola C
Newkirk PG
Snoddy SF
Sweatman PG
Ostrowsky PG (walk on)
----------------------------------------

There are either 7 or 8 scholarships to be filled. The bad news is that Coach Sellers is pretty much starting from scratch, he is in the same boat as a D2 school moving up to D1. The good news is that Sellers is going to start with his own guys, so he will be able be able to immediately imprint his philosophy on the development of the team.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Nigel Scantlebury is returning; https://twitter.com/CCSUBlueDevils/stat ... 26826?s=20

That's a big piece.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:18 pm Its going to get interesting, and I expect we are going to be seeing many additions in the next few weeks.
What we have so far:
------------------------------
Ayangama PF (?)
--------------------
Krishnan SG
Ola C
Newkirk PG
Snoddy SF
Sweatman PG
Ostrowsky PG (walk on)
----------------------------------------

There are either 7 or 8 scholarships to be filled. The bad news is that Coach Sellers is pretty much starting from scratch, he is in the same boat as a D2 school moving up to D1. The good news is that Sellers is going to start with his own guys, so he will be able be able to immediately imprint his philosophy on the development of the team.
FYI I'm updating this for the entire NEC every time there's an addition/subtraction; https://www.themidrangejumper.com/singl ... on-tracker

I just updated today with Scantlebury returning (I also have Ayangma returning based on Sellers' quotes in his press conference). That's now 7 scholarships, with 6 remaining.

EDIT: Technically Ayangma's scholarship doesn't count since he'd be a 5th year senior. So technically there are still 7 schollys available, but I doubt the school will go above the 13.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Looks like Nigel Scantlebury is coming back (no longer in the portal)

https://twitter.com/CCSUBlueDevils/stat ... 26826?s=20

Good news... I thought he showed a few flashes for you guys at the point last year... He and Newkirk returning, IMO, is huge... lead guards with experience is important at this level. Now find some wings and a few PFs and you guys are gonna look more formidable then simply a last place finish in year 1 of the new regime...
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

It'd be nice to see Wilson and Baker change their minds too.. Those 2 would be major contributors....
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:23 pm Nigel Scantlebury is returning; https://twitter.com/CCSUBlueDevils/stat ... 26826?s=20

That's a big piece.
Huge move for a few reasons.

1. Sellers identified and evaluated an existing kid he wanted to keep and was able to have that conversation with the player and make it happen.

2. Returns an experienced guard.

3. Now has a good core of returning players that knows the league.

4. Just positive vibes to be able to post another commitment and yet another sign we are building slowly, but we aren't starting from scratch.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

J.J. wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 pm
CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:23 pm Nigel Scantlebury is returning; https://twitter.com/CCSUBlueDevils/stat ... 26826?s=20

That's a big piece.
4. Just positive vibes to be able to post another commitment and yet another sign we are building slowly, but we aren't starting from scratch.
Exactly
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

J.J. wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:41 pm
Huge move for a few reasons.

1. Sellers identified and evaluated an existing kid he wanted to keep and was able to have that conversation with the player and make it happen.

2. Returns an experienced guard.

3. Now has a good core of returning players that knows the league.

I agree with all of these.

From an on-court perspective, I do believe Scantlebury can thrive in a more modern offense. He shot 35% from three and had a 28% assist rate. However, he really struggled finishing at the rim (50%) and in the mid-range (35%). With more spacing, he'll have more opportunity to break down his defender and finish at the rim or find open shooters. Plus he's good in the open floor.

The fact that Newkirk started over Nigel for the majority of the season was kind of a joke. Newkirk got SO MUCH better, but still; a 28% 3-point shooter with a 17% assist rate is a backup PG (at best), even if he's a very good perimeter defender.

Sellers should give Nigel the keys to the offense and play him at least 70% of the minutes, if not more.

Now he needs to find some frontcourt help, and a couple of shooters. IMO the only NEC starter-level players on the roster are Scantlebury and Krishnan (Ola is not a D1 player, Ayangma is a backup, and Newkirk should be a 3rd PG). Hopefully Reed and/or Baker return. Personally I'd love Tre Mitchell and Greg Outlaw to come back, but I get the sense those ships have sailed. I'm not much of a Xavier Wilson fan, but would provide size. However, he'd have to change his game dramatically to fit Sellers' style.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Outlaw officially committed to Pacific today.

Damn.
Deltaguy1
CCSU Fans Rookie
CCSU Fans Rookie

Post by Deltaguy1 »

Some news off the ccsubluedevils.com site. You may know about the other newbies. I had no heard of this player, Augustin.

Central Connecticut head men's basketball coach Patrick Sellers has announced announced the addition of four student-athletes for the 2021-22 season. Graduate student Hegel Augustin, along with incoming freshmen Andre Snoddy, Davonte Sweatman and Joe Ostrowsky will join the Blue Devils in the fall of 2021.

Augustin is a 6-foot-3 combo guard who is transferring from Glenville State College in Glenville, WV. A native of Queens, NY, Hegel averaged 21.2 ppg and 9.7 rpg in 2020-21. He topped 20 points in seven games last season and poured in a season-high 40 points on 13-of-20 shooting in the opener at West Virginia State. He earned All-Mountain East Conference Second Team honors and earned MEC All-Tournament honors after helping Glenville State to the MEC Tournament semifinals as a senior. At Springfield Gardens High School he earned All-City Honorable Mention, All-Conference and All-State honors and scored 22.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in his high school career.

"Hegel will bring veteran leadership, toughness and a defensive mindset to our program," said Sellers.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Deltaguy1 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm Some news off the ccsubluedevils.com site. You may know about the other newbies. I had no heard of this player, Augustin.

Central Connecticut head men's basketball coach Patrick Sellers has announced announced the addition of four student-athletes for the 2021-22 season. Graduate student Hegel Augustin, along with incoming freshmen Andre Snoddy, Davonte Sweatman and Joe Ostrowsky will join the Blue Devils in the fall of 2021.

Augustin is a 6-foot-3 combo guard who is transferring from Glenville State College in Glenville, WV. A native of Queens, NY, Hegel averaged 21.2 ppg and 9.7 rpg in 2020-21. He topped 20 points in seven games last season and poured in a season-high 40 points on 13-of-20 shooting in the opener at West Virginia State. He earned All-Mountain East Conference Second Team honors and earned MEC All-Tournament honors after helping Glenville State to the MEC Tournament semifinals as a senior. At Springfield Gardens High School he earned All-City Honorable Mention, All-Conference and All-State honors and scored 22.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in his high school career.

"Hegel will bring veteran leadership, toughness and a defensive mindset to our program," said Sellers.
NICE! FINALLY... Giving the fans, alumni some info EARLY, not last minute... Sellers gets it... Get the fanbase involved... Kinda hard to do that when you don't promote it until after classes start...

Like the Grad transfer Augustin pick up... I think he and Krishnan will compliment one another on the offensive end. No starting from scratch in the backcourt
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Hegel Augustin had impressive stats at the D2 level. Looking at the highlight tape he looks quick and can shoot threes (though highlight tapes don't show misses). I expect that Sellers is bringing him in as a Senior (or is he a graduate?) transfer because he expects to get serious minutes from Augustin.
My hope is that this is one of those slip through the cracks guy that we are looking for. The guy has scored at the high school and the D2 level so we will see how he transitions to D1. At 6' 3" he can play SF in which he can combine with Krishnan, who hopefully gets more open shots.

Next up.....two or three PF's.

I notice in Pat's announcement of the newcomers he emphasizes defensive talents. I think we can take this as a subtle hint of what is going to be his coaching philosophy. No surprise considering he got his early coaching lessons from Howie and Calhoun.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:11 am Hegel Augustin had impressive stats at the D2 level. Looking at the highlight tape he looks quick and can shoot threes (though highlight tapes don't show misses). I expect that Sellers is bringing him in as a Senior (or is he a graduate?) transfer because he expects to get serious minutes from Augustin.
My hope is that this is one of those slip through the cracks guy that we are looking for. The guy has scored at the high school and the D2 level so we will see how he transitions to D1. At 6' 3" he can play SF in which he can combine with Krishnan, who hopefully gets more open shots.

Next up.....two or three PF's.

I notice in Pat's announcement of the newcomers he emphasizes defensive talents. I think we can take this as a subtle hint of what is going to be his coaching philosophy. No surprise considering he got his early coaching lessons from Howie and Calhoun.
I'm not sure if you've heard many of his interviews that he's done, but he's been explicit that his first order of on-the-court business is to build out a defense. I'm not sure that he will be defensive-minded throughout his entire tenure, but it's clear that he believes that is priority #1 to get this program competitive again.

As for Augstin; be careful when you're looking at those per game numbers. Glenville St. is known for really pushing the tempo, full-court press, etc. However, he was pretty efficient shooting the ball...34% from three is pretty average, but a 53.4% eFG% is solid. I'm sure he will play a major role as a "big guard" who can score and rebound the ball well while being a good defensive player. I'm moving him into the projecting starting lineup, with Newkirk being the 1st guy off the bench right now.

Hilltopper is right...this team needs some size. I'd be shocked if Ola is a contributor, and I'm not sure Snoddy is anything more than a bit player as a freshman. Rim protection and rebounding is imperative. I also think they need more shooting.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Also FYI Myles Baker is transferring to Eastern Illinois.

Tre Mitchell, Jamir Reed, and Xavier Wilson remain in the Portal.

If I had to choose two, I'd take Mitchell and Reed. But Wilson would provide some size and rim protection that is very needed.