I guess no news is good news???

Lets talk some Hoops!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

I guess no news is good news???

Post by ktuck911 »

Anybody in the know as to how the team is coming along? I know it's Patrick's first year, but it seems like he's got a few pieces to work with.... Pieces that may bring more wins then the average # of wins per year DM had during his tenure...
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Re: I guess no news is good news???

Post by jcframingham »

The only thing I thought I might see this time of year, though not significant, is the annual team run (which might have gone into remission or disappeared due to Covid).
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:13 pm Anybody in the know as to how the team is coming along? I know it's Patrick's first year, but it seems like he's got a few pieces to work with.... Pieces that may bring more wins then the average # of wins per year DM had during his tenure...
Practice just started on 10/1. There are no media outlets covering CCSU MBB, so there's really no way we'd hear anything.

I think two things can be true: 1) Sellers does a much better job than Marshall would have done; and 2) they do not win more than a handful of NEC games this season.

Literally 7 of the 10 teams return all, or nearly all, of their rotations from a season ago and will be BETTER than they were in 20-21. An 8th team, St. Francis-Brooklyn, bought in a ton of experienced transfers. FDU is in rebuild mode, and while we are bringing back some guys from the rotation, on paper there's no way this roster is as talented or deep as it was last season.

Bart Torvik has them projected to finish 5-13 in the NEC, and that feels pretty right to me. I do think there's an outside chance of qualifying for the NEC Tournament (Merrimack remains ineligible) as the 8-seed, though a few people I trust think FDU will be a darkhorse thanks to their talented freshman class and return of some key pieces.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

5-13. 😑 Hopefully we will surprise a few folks this year.

Glad Pat is here to rescue this but still so mad at DM for blowing us the heck up. 😡
jcframingham
CCSU Fans Regular
CCSU Fans Regular

Post by jcframingham »

I certainly hope Sellers does a better job than DM and Howie in his later years, but as much as I hate to say, I'll believe it when I see it.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:29 pm 5-13. 😑 Hopefully we will surprise a few folks this year.

Glad Pat is here to rescue this but still so mad at DM for blowing us the heck up. 😡
Sure, that makes sense.

Quite frankly, Pat could have tried to reload this thing via the Transfer Portal. I wont speak for him, but I'd be willing to bet that he looked around at the rest of the NEC and figured that even if he brought in a bunch of experienced D1 players, the chances of finishing in the Top 4 were slim. This will likely be one of the strongest versions of the NEC that we've seen in many years.

So instead, he's rebuilding this program with freshmen. Check this out, this is how many scholarship freshman each program has:
FDU: 6
CCSU: 5 (plus Dehnavi is listed as a Soph but I'd imagine he has 4 years of eligibility remaining? He enrolled at a University in Canada but they did not play last season)
Sacred Heart: 4
Mount: 3
Wagner: 3
Merrimack: 2
St. Francis-NY: 2
LIU: 2
Bryant: 1
St. Francis-PA: 0

I have to think Sellers is looking at slowly building this thing over the next 3-4 years. As all the veteran players graduate from other programs, Sellers could have a solid nucleus of players who received significant experience early in their careers. FDU will have plenty of young players getting PT, but outside of them very few freshmen will see the floor in this league. SHU? They return 10 rotation players, how in the world will those first-year guys get PT? The same goes for Mount St. Mary's; they are essentially 2 deep at every position with experienced players. Those freshmen are not playing.

The future, theoretically, looks bright. Of course, this year's batch of Blue Devil freshmen could be terrible and they all transfer after the season. But I'm putting my faith in Sellers that he's brought in a few quality guys who will stick for the next few seasons.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Looks like we have a new Director of Basketball Operations… Matt Trudeau…
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Here's the quick take from Matt Norlander at CBS Sports:

345. Central Connecticut State: The Donyell Marshall era brought little success, so after four seasons CCSU hired alum Pat Sellers. Sellers is an area native, has coached in the northeast for much of his life and has the small but passionate base sanguine about the future.

Matt, it was actually 5 painful season, but welcome to CCSUfans.com, home of the "small but passionate base" 😁
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

Not even a mention that he’s an alum/former player? I guess we aren’t important enough for a little research.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Skyhawkct wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm Not even a mention that he’s an alum/former player? I guess we aren’t important enough for a little research.
To be fair, he ranked all 358 teams in D1.

Norlander is one of my favorite CBB people. Local guy, went to WCSU.

He's getting clicks for his Top 50, not his bottom 50. I wouldn't do much research on NEC teams if I were him either.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ccsuhoops wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:33 pm Looks like we have a new Director of Basketball Operations… Matt Trudeau…
I think this is a great job by Pat. Matt was a Team Manager under DM, works his butt off. I'm happy he hired an alum as DOBO. Blue Devils taking care of Blue Devils.

I have no idea if he'll be able to hire a 3rd assistant. But if so, I'd love for it to go to a former Blue Devil player...someone like Lenny Jefferson?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Skyhawkct wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm Not even a mention that he’s an alum/former player? I guess we aren’t important enough for a little research.
He mentioned Pat is an alum
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Sanguine, that’s a mighty word for us ccsu graduates 😂 😝
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Did all the season ticket holders here get the email from the AD? that we will be soon contacted concerning the new season.
It was a sanguine message. :roll:
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Yep. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, ie, I still think we can go, just assuming covid rules will be the order of the season.