2021 schedule

Its 3rd down and 4 whats your call coach?
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

2021 schedule

Post by J.J. »

CCSU released the 2021 schedule and I love it!

Open week one with a home game vs. Southern Connecticut. An intra-state battle vs. long-time rivals on opening weekend should be a sell out. No reason we can't draw 6k+ for that game if the weather cooperates. Even though SCSU remains a D-II program, they are our most played opponent and are always a great game at HOME.

After a road game at Wagner, CCSU will host nationally-ranked Southeastern Louisiana. A great intersectional matchup vs. a team and conference that will rarely fly up to New Britain. This was of course made possible with the cancellation of the Fordham game. CCSU will head to Hammond, La. in 2022.

Then marquee match up vs. former National Champions Miami Hurricanes. This will be Central's second ever P5 opponent and this game is a tangible proof of how far this program has come. In the 1980s with guys like Scott Pioli we we playing road games at Salburisy State - now the Blude Devils will play in a NFL stadium vs. a Top-25 football team. Amazing!

The final non-conference game is vs. Columbia, led by CCSU alum Al Bagnoli. Always great to have a winnable game vs. the Ivy League on the schedule.

https://ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball ... 0609g2y412
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Re: 2021 schedule

Post by ccsuhoops »

Agreed! Can’t wait for the season ticket letter to come out! So excited for this season. Only pain is having to travel 7.5 hrs to Duquesne but not much we can do about that. Thank God for front row.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Nice release by SCSU for that one game (they didn't release the rest of their schedule yet). Clearly, this is a big game for them to "play up" vs. D-I Central, just like our big game when we play at UConn next year. Nice job by Tom P. and staff to get this game.

All the local papers did an article on the CCSU release. And seemed to be good Twitter buzz from Southern fans. Very good press coverage and general hype. Should be a great kickoff to the 2021 college football season in Connecticut!

Can't say how much I love this game. We shouldn't play them every year, but I'm totally OK with this as often as we need a HOME game to fill out our schedule. Much better opponent than Salve Regina, Bentley, and even Valpo.

This game looks to be a Friday night game and won't compete with UConn-Holy Cross on Saturday, so hopefully attendence and media coverage meets the preseason expectations. Probably have some local H.S. games that night, but can't do anything about that. Looking back at some news clippings of past Central-Southern games, drew 5-6k even through the 1980s, so I'm setting a high bar :)
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Gotta love these upcoming intra-state games for CCSU:

Sep. 3, 2021 vs. Southern Conn. St. (Arute Field, New Britain)
Sep. 3, 2022 at Connecticut (Pratt & Whitney Stadium, East Hartford)
Oct. 5, 2024 at Yale (Yale Bowl, New Haven)
Aug. 30, 2025 at Connecticut (Pratt & Whitney Stadium, East Hartford)
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

Yes! We totally need good instate rivals now that UHart is gonna get its wings clipped back to Div III in all sports. ( They were at least good competition in hoops the last few years) Im talking overall.....
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

Agreed. Would love to hand UConn and Yale a loss. Just hope coach can keep the train running in the right direction. Hoping the covid pause doesn’t send us in the wrong direction. Haven’t heard anything about football. Usually we get some info about spring practice etc.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Would love to hand UConn and Yale a loss.
Yes, and I am sure Southern Conn is thinking the same about us! Better win that one first.

Oh, is Yale a home and home? or are they paying us not to have to come to Arute?
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

I would assume Yale is a one game deal Hill...at least for now. They have been reluctant to play us anywhere in the past.

They may have tons of $$ but I don’t think, being a fellow FCS school, they would pay CCSU for anything.
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 pm
Would love to hand UConn and Yale a loss.
Yes, and I am sure Southern Conn is thinking the same about us! Better win that one first.

Oh, is Yale a home and home? or are they paying us not to have to come to Arute?
If we are serious about this program, we should all expect nothing short of total domination of SCSU. If it’s even remotely close like last time, I’m handing in my seasons 😝

I don’t think they nor UConn would ever be caught dead at Arute. Hence why I want to beat their a$$es. 😂
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J.J. »

Yale game is a one and done for $$$ No way Yale ever plays at Arute.

Per FBSchedules.com:

Northeast Conference (NEC) member Central Connecticut will travel to take on the Yale Bulldogs of the Ivy League at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, Conn., on October 5, 2024. Per the copy of the contract, Yale will pay Central Connecticut a $10,000 guarantee and will provide 1,000 complimentary tickets for the contest.
Skyhawkct
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by Skyhawkct »

I stand corrected then. I didn’t think an FCS school would pay anything to play another. I thought pay games were strictly between FBS and FCS.

This would be a great game to get a W AND some $$$.
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Thanks for the info J.J. I suspected something like that was the case.
Doesn't the Yale Bowl seat 60+ thousand?
No doubt that they regularly get a full house #-o

Looks jam packed for the 2019 Cornell game below:
yale bowl 2019.JPG

It would be nice to go to the Yale Bowl, get paid, and come out with a win. But realistically, that is going to be a tough game for Central.
Larryl9797
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Larryl9797 »

LOL- if the yale bowl sits 15K it still looks empty.... https://yalebulldogs.com/facilities/yal ... 4-field/22
“Winners are not people who do not fail, but people who never quit“-Anonymous
newbritainite
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by newbritainite »

Larryl9797 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:59 am Yes! We totally need good instate rivals now that UHart is gonna get its wings clipped back to Div III in all sports. ( They were at least good competition in hoops the last few years) Im talking overall.....
Don’t talk about the Hawks anymore; that’s a “soar” subject!
CCSU Class of 2004
Football NEC Champions: 2004 * 2005 * 2009 * 2010 * 2017 * 2019
Men's Basketball NEC Champions: 2000 * 2002 * 2007
The only Men's Basketball team in Connecticut to make the 2006-2007 NCAA Tournament - CCSU Blue Devils!