Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Lets talk some Hoops!
J.J.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recruiting under Sellers off to a good start...

Post by J.J. »

Defense is a must. It is the easiest thing to fix through hard work and schemes. I love that this is his first priority. Keeping opponents off the scoreboard and backboard can immediately make the team more competitive.

Like he said in his interviews - offense will come, but you have to focus on fundamentals (defense, spacing, etc) first and then build off that.

I honestly think we can make the NEC Tourney in year 1. Anything like a 8-6 seed would be a huge step forward. He's got a plan, just need to get him the coaches to help him out!
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

J.J. wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 am He's got a plan, just need to get him the coaches to help him out!
and a few more players
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

E.J. Anosike, who transferred out of Sacred Heart to Tennessee, is transferring again... At 6'7 245lbs he'd be a nice addition here for a year....just what the doctor ordered for the frontcourt...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

ktuck911 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:13 pm E.J. Anosike, who transferred out of Sacred Heart to Tennessee, is transferring again... At 6'7 245lbs he'd be a nice addition here for a year....just what the doctor ordered for the frontcourt...
Bro...I love the optimism but there's zero chance E.J. Anosike is coming to CCSU.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:50 pm
ktuck911 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:13 pm E.J. Anosike, who transferred out of Sacred Heart to Tennessee, is transferring again... At 6'7 245lbs he'd be a nice addition here for a year....just what the doctor ordered for the frontcourt...
Bro...I love the optimism but there's zero chance E.J. Anosike is coming to CCSU.
LOL.. Gotta at least talk to the young man...even if he says no right away... You're D1 for Christ sakes...
ccsuhoops
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ccsuhoops »

I liked Mitchell. Wonder if he’s the one Pat wants to return. I hear you on Ola, feels to me that basketball is the last thing on his collegiate career agenda. He will remain a project big man until he graduates , imho that is..
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Am I missing something here? Verbal Commits has Tre Mitchell listed as enrolled at Central Connecticut. And he is not in their list of the Transfers.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

hilltopper wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 pm Am I missing something here? Verbal Commits has Tre Mitchell listed as enrolled at Central Connecticut. And he is not in their list of the Transfers.
You're right. I can't find anything on Twitter.

CCSU put out a release that Scantlebury is returning. I'd assume they would do the same for Mitchell (or Wilson or Reed). We will just have to wait and see.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

based on pure speculation.... don't be surprised if he ends up in a CCSU uni this fall...

JUCO PF Kennedy Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsAeNue5HwY
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

Here's another sleeper (not really though, his 247 profile has a few high majors on him, but, weir that the offered back in the Fall and he hasn't committed to anybody... I'm gonna take a flier and say blame it on COVID)... 6'6" 190lb G - Ben Bayela @ South Plains College in TX (JUCO)...
hilltopper
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by hilltopper »

Update on the 2021-2022 MBB roster (as per Verbal Commits):

PG Ostrowsky (walk on) - Freshman
PG Sweatman - Freshman
PG Newkirk - Junior
PG Scantlebury - Junior
PG Tre Mitchell (?) -Junior
SG Krishnan -Junior
SG Augustin -Senior
SF Snoddy - Freshman
PF Ayangama -Senior
C Ola -Sophomore

That is 9 scholarships (assuming Ayangama and Mitchell return). With 4 to go I would think that we are going to see
some PF's coming in, at least two, maybe more.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I would say Snoddy is a froncourt player...he's listed at 6'6" but he doesn't have a jump shot, so he's not playing wing at the D1 level until he develops a perimeter game. And I'm sure Sellers will play 3-guard offenses nearly 100% of the time (as he should). Augustin rebounds well for a guard, so a backcourt of Scantlebury, Mitchell/Krishnan, and Augustin would work well on both sides of the ball.

But yes, he needs some rim protection and rebounding. I think that's what he will look for in the Portal.
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

I'm not sure how many have heard this interview: https://www.newstimes.com/uconn/article ... 229908.php

Another great interview with our coach. More great stories, etc.

Within it he mentioned there were 3 players from last year's team in the Portal that he wanted to bring back, and that 2 of them are returning while 1 committed elsewhere. So I'm going with the 2 returning as Scantlebury and Mitchell. The other guy he wanted to bring back was either Baker (Eastern Illinois) or Outlaw (Pacific). It sounds like Xavier Wilson is out, unless something changes or he misspoke.
ktuck911
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by ktuck911 »

CCSU4-3 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:55 am I would say Snoddy is a froncourt player...he's listed at 6'6" but he doesn't have a jump shot, so he's not playing wing at the D1 level until he develops a perimeter game. And I'm sure Sellers will play 3-guard offenses nearly 100% of the time (as he should). Augustin rebounds well for a guard, so a backcourt of Scantlebury, Mitchell/Krishnan, and Augustin would work well on both sides of the ball.

But yes, he needs some rim protection and rebounding. I think that's what he will look for in the Portal.
Agreed 1000% on the starters prediction at the 1-2-3 .... Makes sense. Can also see Ayangama manning one of the frontcourt spots... that leaves a solid JUCO/Grad transfer type to fill out the starting 5...

Guys take quick peak at some of the interesting prospects coach is following... lots of keys there on potential guys that can surely make this look more like a TEAM and not one on one like in the past...
CCSU4-3
CCSU Fans Know it all
CCSU Fans Know it all

Post by CCSU4-3 »

Central offered Blaise Vespe, a 6'7" 215 lb. stretch-forward out of Philly. Had offers from FDU and IUPUI back in 2020. It appears most schools are looking at him as a 2022 product. Maybe we get him in a year early.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/blaise-vespe